Friday 3 January 2014

Essential Mac Apps

Now that you have a Mac, what are the apps you can't live without? Here's a short list of apps that I have installed on my Mac and that make my life a lot easier.


Quicksilver
Quicksilver is an app launcher, and then more. instead of going to the Applications folder, or the Launchpad, then look for the app I want to launch and click on it, I only have to press ctrl+Space, then start typing the name of the app or file I want to open. Because I use Evernote a lot, and also because I don't want to have 50 apps on the dock, I can type ctrl+ Space, and as soon as I type the "E" for Evernote it shows on the Quicksilver popup window, I press Enter and Evernote is launched. Same for any other application I want to launch, or file I want to open, regardless of where it is.

ClipMenu
Extends the capabilities of the clipboard, stores several copied items for later pasting. Very useful when creating documents or presentations.

Caffeine
Prevents your Mac from going to sleep, when you want it to stay on, even if you're not actively using it.

BetterTouchTool
Create new gestures to better control your Mac from your trackpad, Magic Mouse, Keyboard or Leap. Wished the two finger swipe left and right worked on Finder to go back or forward a folder? Here's your answer.

KeyRemap4Macbook
I have a Logitech R800 remote for presentations. It worked great on my Windows PC with Powerpoint, but Logitech says it doesn't work on Mac OS X. Well, I beg to disagree. Not only it works with MS Powerpoint for Mac, but with the help of this little app and a few tweaks it also works with Apple's Keynote!

aText
A text expander, will be invaluable to anyone who has to type the same thing over and over again, responding to emails, creating documents, etc. You can create whatever snippets of text you want, add a shortcut to trigger the snippet and off you go. I used PerfectKeyboard on Windows, and aText is quite similar in features,

Besides these, there are a lot more, some more mainstream like Evernote, Skype, etc., and others not so much, like FreeMemory or AppCleaner. What are your essential apps?

No comments:

Post a Comment