Thursday 9 June 2011

iOS 5 New Tricks

I was really excited when I first read about the new features iOS 5 will bring to the iPhone and other iDevices. I had been waiting for the announcement and partly followed the live coverage of Steve Jobs keynote address. When he finished, I was looking forward to this Fall, when iOS 5 is supposed to become available to the masses, but then I started thinking...


While I still look forward to have iOS 5 on my iPhone, I realized that most of these "new" features are not new at all. In fact, I already have and use most of them.

iMessenger - great stuff, I have been using those features via the WhatsApp Messenger.
Safari reader button - lots of different apps provide this functionality.
Safari tabbed browsing - Opera Mini Web Browser.
Integration with Twitter - well, there are plenty of twittering apps.
Volume + button to take pictures - Camera+ had this feature and Apple forced the developer to take it away, about a year ago.

There are other features that are indeed welcome, and answer the users requests:

- Over the Air (OTA) updates
- Wireless sync
- New Notification Center
- Locked screen new features

As for iCloud, it sounds great and it seems to go much farther than other services like Dropbox.

Are you looking forward to iOS 5 as well?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one, it would seem though that apple have been following the jailbreak community with interest and taking notes, their new notifier center is also the same as the one I've been using on my jailbroken phone for about a year now.

    If it was not for the fact that my phone reads out my notifications, text msg and who is sending me email, I'd be tempted to stop jailbreaking. But then I can also insert multiple images into an emial, I can have different email signatures for each account, I can disable the lock screen so I can get straight back to my open app when it goes into sleep mode, when my phone syncs I can still use it without waiting for the process to stop, I have broken the limit of apps in folders, and many more tweaks that I'd miss. So maybe not!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Jason. And if there is one thing I would like to see implemented on iOS 5 but have not heard about so far it would have to be the ability to flag messages on my Exchange accounts. How hard could that be? Android has email clients that have that feature!

    ReplyDelete